Among various transportations, the train seems to be the least popular but the cheapest and safest one, thus worth a try to tourists from all over the world.
First, let’s have a quick look at the overview of the train between Hanoi and Halong to decide whether it is suitable for you.
Bạn đang xem: ha noi to ha long bay transportation
About Hanoi to Halong Bay train
Generally, the only train to arrive at Halong Bay is train no. 50501, which came into operation many years ago. Therefore, when it comes to Hanoi to Halong train, the idea has been considered as a traditional way to travel from Hanoi to Halong Bay and thus becomes more popular with the locals than foreign tourists.
In fact, the train now mainly serves small traders that have their products sold in markets around Quang Ninh and the surrounding area. As the result, the quality of tourism service may be to some extent less professional but it the best way to interact with local people!
Usually, a journey on train no.50501 will take you about 7 hours and 17 minutes, which is due to its speed (only 45.7 km/h – much lower than that of a shuttle bus or event public bus).
Hanoi to Halong Bay train
Hanoi to Halong Bay train schedule & price
If you don’t mind the long travel time and poor service for tourists, then keep reading since the information can be useful.
As scheduled, train no. 50501 departs from Yen Vien Station every day at 4.55 am and eventually arrives in Ha Long Station at 11.45 am on the same day.
On its way to the last stop as Ha Long, the train also goes through 11 other stations that include Tu Son, Bac Ninh, Bac Giang, Pho Trang, Kep, Bao Son, Lan Mau, Dong Trieu, Mao Khe, Uong Bi, Yen Cu. Hence, it is quite convenient for those who plan to visit these listed places before coming to Ha Long.
Besides, during each stop (especially Kep or Mao Khe), you can have time (about 15 to 20 minutes) to buy things and foods, as well, to go sightseeing plus take some excellent pictures for your travel collection.
In addition, when coming back to Hanoi, you can opt for train no. 50502, which departs from Ha Long station at 1.45 pm and arrives in Hanoi at 8.31 pm according to the inverse itinerary.
Yen Vien station – the departure of Hanoi to Halong train
Since the train has been in operation for a long time, there is only a hard-seat option offered on each journey with a price of about 4 USD/adult.
Besides, in case all the seats are booked, extra seats are available at 3 USD/adult. However, this kind of seat is not usually recommended due to its inconvenience and unsafety.
In addition, all the listed prices include VAT, passengers’ insurance fees, and may vary according to the booking time. Children below 6 years old are offered free tickets; those from 6 to 10 are given 25% discounts; likewise, the elderly from 60 and above are allowed 15% discounts.
Hard-seatPrice / One wayAdult4 USDExtra Seat3 USDChildren below 6 years oldFreeChildren 6 – 10 years old3 USD (Discounted 25%) Elderly from 60 and above3.4 USD (Discounted 15%)
Pros and Cons of Hanoi – Halong train
Like many other means of transport, a train from Hanoi to Halong has its pros and cons. Let’s have a look at what they are and decide whether to book a train to Halong Bay.
- First, the train is the safest way to get to Halong as its risk of an accident is much lower than that of a bus, car, or even a seaplane. Therefore, you can thoroughly enjoy your vacation without any doubt about safety issues.
- Second, the train is among the cheapest means of transport that you can opt for, especially when coming to Vietnam on a budget. With a reasonable price of about 4 USD/adult, you can have quite a good transfer to Halong.
- Finally, for those who love to find new things during their vacation, a train from Hanoi to Halong may be a great choice since it allows you to have a local-like experience. Due to the low speed, you can admire the stunning of both sites of the railway from the window. Also, as the train mainly serves small traders and locals, you will have a chance to talk to them, listen to their stories, and thus have an insight into what daily life here is like. With all those experiences, your travel time could be a sweet memory later!
Outside view of Hanoi to Halong Bay train
- One of the biggest disadvantages of traveling on the train is the extra-long time it takes. If you are planning a one or two-day trip to Halong Bay, consider not choosing a train as the 7-hour journey may prevent you from taking part in more leisure activities here.
- Also, as there is only a hard-seat option on the train, you may sometimes get tired of sitting for such a long time.
- Moreover, the poor service for tourists is another disadvantage that you should consider before making your choice. Since the train mainly serves small traders, its service may not be as professional as that of a shuttle bus or seaplane. Sometimes, you might face a language barrier when talking to the staff.
Only hard-seat option on Hanoi – Halong Bay train
The train can be suitable for those who are on a budget, plan to spend much time in Halong Bay, and love to experience new things during their vacation. However, the journey will last long and be sometimes so boresome plus tiring.
Therefore, it is highly recommended that you should go with friends (especially Vietnamese friends), bring along a pillow and some board games for the best travel time. Consider all the information above; if interested, contact us anytime you want.
You might also like Hanoi to Halong Bay Shuttle Bus: Schedule & Price 2021
Duc Anh Tran
Image Source: Internet