- Hanoi to Halong Bay distance and travel time
- How to get from Hanoi to Halong Bay
- Hanoi to Halong Bay bus – The most popular transportation
- Hanoi to Halong Bay luxury bus – The most comfortable transfer
- Hanoi to Ha Long Bay private car – The best way for group travelers
- Hanoi to Halong Bay seaplane – A new way to explore Halong
- Hanoi to Halong Bay motorbike – The most venturesome experience
- Hanoi to Halong Bay train – Travel like a local
- Local tips to get to Halong Bay from Hanoi
- Recommend Hanoi to Halong Bay tour itinerary
Thanks to the New Highway 5B ((also called Hanoi – Hai Phong Expressway) since the end of 2018, it takes only 2.5 hours to travel from Hanoi to Ha Long Bay. Then you can save a lot of time on transportation for a day excursion. If money isn’t a problem, it’s highly recommended that you should choose a luxury and private transfer.
Bạn đang xem: how to get from hanoi to ha long
Travel from Hanoi to Halong Bay
Hanoi to Halong Bay distance and travel time
The distance from Hanoi to Halong Bay is about 170 km, specifically from Hanoi Old Quarter to Halong City. It usually takes about 2.5 hours to get to Halong by car via the new National Highway 5B.
However, as 5B Road only allows 4-wheel vehicles, if you travel by motorbikes or want to save the toll fees, it may cost you 3.5 hours to arrive at the gate of Halong Bay after traveling through the National Road No 18.
Hanoi to Halong Bay distance and travel time
How to get from Hanoi to Halong Bay
Since Ha Long Bay becomes a world-famous tourist hot spot, the development of tourism has led to the upgrade of transportation systems in recent years. You don’t have to worry about how to get to Halong Bay in various ways: by road, by air, by railway, and by waterways in case you want to visit the islands.
For the most part, there are the 6 most popular means of transportations, including the shuttle bus, luxury bus, private car, seaplane, motorbike, and train.
Now, let’s make a comparison between the price, duration, as well as the reasons you should choose it as the best way to travel.
6 best ways to get from Hanoi to Halong Bay
Means of TransportationTravel timeCost / round wayProsConsShuttle Bus (Most popular)2.5 hours15 – 20 USD
– Direct trip
– Inflexible in time
Luxury Bus (Most comfortable)2.5 hours20 – 30 USD
– English Speaking Guide
– More expensive than shuttle bus
– Inflexible in time
Private Car (Privacy)2 hours80 – 150 USD
– More privacy
– High cost
Seaplane (New experience)60 minutes350 – 400 USD
– New experience
– Fastest way
– Breathtaking view
– Need at least 6 persons for a trip
Motorbike (Most venturesome)
6 USD / day
Train (Travel like a local)
8 – 10 USD
– Cheapest way
– Travel like a local
Hanoi to Halong Bay bus – The most popular transportation
Traveling by bus from Hanoi to Halong Bay is now one of the most common ways to transfer. For the best, we recommend you choose the shuttle bus, also known as the “tourist bus”.
- Duration: It takes only 2.5 hours to travel by shuttle bus via the new highway.
- Cost: The travel cost of a shuttle bus ticket is around 10 USD/one-way/person with free pick-up and drop-off in the Hanoi Old Quarter. If you stay far away, there will be a surcharge for picking up outside the quarter.
Hanoi to Halong Bay bus
Shuttle bus schedule and price
The shuttle bus services are provided by plenty of tourist bus companies and cruise lines. If you are planning to join a Halong Bay cruise from Hanoi, it is highly recommended you should book the transfer together with a cruise package for smoothly pick up and drop off.
Bus operatorBus scheduleTicket fareHoang Long VIP BusEvery hour from 5:30 am to 7:30 pm7 USDVan Don XanhEvery hour from 5:00 am to 9:00 pm10 USDGreen Lion BusEvery day at 7:00 – 7:30 am7 – 10 USDPhuc XuyenEvery hour from 4:00 am to 8:00 pm8 – 10 USD
Shuttle bus of cruise companies
Every day at 8:30 – 9:00 am
15 – 20 USD
What makes a shuttle bus is the best way to travel?
- An economical choice among the best ways of getting to Halong Bay from Hanoi
- Well-equipped amenities combined with good services
- Short travel time and direct transfer
Shuttle bus – the most popular way of Hanoi to Halong Bay transfer
>> Hanoi to Halong Bay shuttle bus is suitable for all types of tourists, from solo travelers, couples, groups of friends, to family with kids, especially for those who seek a reasonable-priced, time-saving, and convenient transfer.
Hanoi to Halong Bay luxury bus – The most comfortable transfer
In case you are in search of a more comfortable and high-end service, take a luxury bus from Hanoi to Halong Bay is the best choice for your trip.
- Duration: As the shuttle bus, the luxury bus takes only 2.5 hours to get from Hanoi Old Quarter to Ha Long City.
- Cost: If you want to take a luxury bus, the cost of a transfer is approximately 15 – 20 USD/ one-way/ person.
Luxury bus from Hanoi to Halong Bay
Luxury bus schedule and price
Not only the bus operators but also many cruise companies offer a luxury bus transfer with pick-up and drop-off service. As normal, many travellers choose to book a cruise, which includes a combo transportation package or sometimes free transportation. For alternative options, take a look at the recommended bus providers as follow.
Bus operatorBus scheduleTicket fare
Every hour from 6:00 am to 8:00 pm
8 – 11 USD / one way
Limousine Phuc Xuyen
Every hour from 4:00 am to 8:00 pm
8 – 10 USD / one way
Co To Limousine
Every day at 05:30 am, 6:30 am, 7:30 am, 9:30 am, 11:30 am, 1:00 pm, 4:00 pm
8 – 11 USD / one way
Luxury bus of cruise companies
Every day at 8:30 – 9:00 am
15 – 20 USD / one way
What to expect from a luxury bus?
- A 7 – 9-seat luxury limousine provided with an air-conditioner, free wifi, TV, massage chairs, complimentary mineral water, etc.
- English-speaking and welcoming drivers who can solve some basic problems
- Straightforward and time-saving transport through the new highway
Hanoi to Ha Long Bay private car – The best way for group travelers
For those who desire complete privacy and flexibility in time, hiring a private car from Hanoi to Halong bay is considered the best.
- Duration: Usually, it takes a private car around 2 – 2.5 hours to transfer from Hanoi Old Quarter and Halong City via the new highway, which is not so long and doesn’t make you feel uncomfortable during the trip.
- Cost: The price of a private car varies from 100 USD to 150 USD for a return trip. It depends on the types of car and whether the return trip is on the same day or not. The fee may be higher if you want to be picked up outside the Old Quarter or dropped off at the locations far from Tuan Chau or Halong International Cruise Port.
Hanoi to Halong Bay private car
Why is a private car suitable for your group?
- Flexible schedule and easy-to-control itinerary
- The best privacy and convenience in your own space
- The lower price due to the cost-sharing for group members
>> If you go on a vacation with your family or a group of 5 – 7 people, a private car is the best option to travel from Hanoi to Halong, due to the privacy and flexibility in time it features.
Hanoi to Halong Bay seaplane – A new way to explore Halong
You should bear in mind that there is no direct flight from Hanoi to Halong Bay. If you are looking for a mesmerizing way to explore Halong Bay from Hanoi, seaplane could be a one-of-a-kind experience.
- Duration: A Hanoi – Halong seaplane takes only 45 minutes to transfer and an additional 15 minutes for sightseeing to admire the breathtaking aerial view of the bay.
- Cost: Generally, a seaplane ticket costs you around 350 – 450 USD/one-way/person. Typically, the airfare can vary depending on the season and time of day.
How to travel by seaplane?
Hai Au Aviation is the only seaplane provider offering a 45-minute scheduled flight from Hanoi to Ha Long Bay and a 15-minute scenic flight for sightseeing over thousands of awe-inspiring islets and rock formations. The seaplane departs from Hanoi Airport to Tuan Chau Marina, which is nearby the cruise port in Ha Long Bay.
Breathtaking view from Hanoi to Halong Bay seaplane
The best way to book the seaplane is to book a cruise package combined with a seaplane tour offered by BestPrice Travel for a great chance to experience the extraordinary seaplane ride and cruising in the Bay.
Is the seaplane worth-experiencing?
- An extraordinary way to admire the spectacular aerial views of Halong Bay
- Private, fast, and up-to-date with the complimentary Wi-Fi and the 4G Internet availability
- Professional tourism services with experienced and well-trained staff who speak English fluently
- The most credible and exclusive seaplane provider to ensure your safety and valuable experience
Things to know before taking a seaplane
- A seaplane ride to Halong Bay allows a maximum capacity of 12 passengers and each of them is allowed only 7 kg of luggage.
- A flight requires a minimum number of 6 passengers, which doesn’t fit couples and small groups. The idea can be considered when you come in a big group.
- Before choosing a seaplane, make sure that you have good health conditions without heart attack and acrophobia since there can be some thrilling and uncomfortable feelings caused by the movements of the small aircraft during a flight.
>> If you don’t mind about money and have a desire for amazing travel experiences, you shouldn’t miss out on a Hanoi to Halong Bay seaplane. It is absolutely worth-a-try to opt for a fast, convenient, and luxurious means of transportation with professional services.
Hanoi to Halong Bay motorbike – The most venturesome experience
Đang hot: Halong Bay
Alternatively, getting to Halong Bay from Hanoi by motorbike can bring you a more adventurous experience during your vacation.
- Duration: It takes you about 3.5 hours or more to transport on a motorcycle, which is quite flexible and up to you.
- Cost: Going by motorbike will cost you not much or sometimes nothing as all you need is a motorbike. However, those who don’t have a motorbike will have to rent one at 4.5 – 6.5 USD/day. Before you go, make sure to fill up the gas and bring along other essential facilities.
Travel to Halong from Hanoi by motorbike
How to travel by motorbike?
- Hire a motorbike: If you are in Hanoi, there are some motorbike rental centers such as 13535 Motorbike Rental Hanoi, Motogo, Nguyen Tu Motorbike, BonBon Motorbike, etc. that you can consider to have yourself a rental one.
- Follow the exact path: There are several routes for you to transfer by motorbike. Among them, the two following ones are often recommended.
Route 1: Hanoi – Bac Ninh – Ha Long: This route is only 155km and takes you around 3 hours to travel to Halong Bay by motorbike. If you choose to follow the route, from Hanoi, get to Sai Dong crossroad Highway No.5 (for about 10km), then via 23 km on Highway No.1, arrive at Bac Ninh province. After that, follow Highway No.18 for about 122 km to respectively reach Pha Lai, Sao Do, Dong Trieu, Uong Bi, and eventually Ha Long.
Route 2: Hanoi – Hai Duong – Ha Long: Compared to the former one, this route is much longer (about 170 km), but more convenient. From Hanoi, you can get to the county of Nam Sach, Hai Duong through Highway No.5B, then follow Highway No.183, to reach Ha Long.
Why does traveling by motorbike dangerous but worth-trying?
- An unforgettable adventure especially for those who love nature and real-life experiences
- Great chance to behold the stunning mountains, captivating beaches, and other beautiful sightseeing on the way
- Precious memory to share with your travel mates
- A proactive and low-cost way to travel on two wheels
Things to know before traveling by motorbike
- As a motorbike trip to Halong Bay from Hanoi can involve some possible risks and undesired situations, be well-prepared before you go. It is only recommended for experienced backpackers who have a motor-driving license with good driving skills.
- When renting a bike, you will have to put down a sum of money as a deposit and hand in a copy of your passport (sometimes your flight information). If you are required to provide your original one, try to negotiate as you may need your passport sometime. Contact the center through a hotline or website to directly get the bike at your place. After taking the motorcycle, remember to ask for its insurance and ownership paper (copied version).
- Make sure that your motorbike is in good condition. As this is the crucial step in preparation, fill up the gas, carefully check your bike whether there is any problem, then quickly fix it.
- Remember to bring along the essential kit that includes a map, water, some clothes, extra gas, a raincoat, etc. as you will need it sometime.
- It is highly recommended that you go with friends (4 – 10 people) to avoid getting lost and to help each other in case some problems occur during the trip.
>> Motorcycle may not be a perfect choice that many people will opt for, due to the high risk it contains. However, for those (particularly young people) who are on a budget but seek a truly wonderful adventure through the charm of nature and love to enjoy full freedom, the idea will be the best.
Hanoi to Halong Bay train – Travel like a local
Travelling by train is the slowest and safest way to get to Halong Bay from Hanoi, due to the authentic experience it brings you. It can be a great opportunity to admire and enjoy the stunning scenery on both sides of the railway.
- Duration: The train journey usually lasts for nearly 7 hours. Apparently, it is not an ideal choice for those who have only a couple of days in Halong but perfect for the one who has abundant time during their vacation.
- Cost: Traveling by train must be the most budget way as the ticket fare is almost 4 USD/one-way/person. Nevertheless, you have to pay for transportation between your hotel and the railway station.
Hanoi to Halong Bay train
There is only one way to take a train from Yen Vien Station, located northeast in Hanoi, to Halong Station, situated east of Bai Chay City. Not to mention that the train leaves once a day at 4:55 am from Hanoi to reach Ha Long at almost 12:00 pm. When going back to Hanoi, you have to take a train from Halong Station at 1:45 pm to arrive in Hanoi at 8:30 pm.
What makes the train to Halong Bay a must-do experience?
- An ideal chance to enjoy the scenic views and take some excellent photos for your travel collection
- An authentic travel experience in Vietnam to enjoy the laid-back atmosphere
- The cheapest and safest means of transportation compared to the roadway
>> Hanoi to Halong Bay train is suitable for budget and solo travelers who seek the best experience during their vacation. It is best to travel like a local in an eastern country like Vietnam. Totally, you can get yourself peace of mind while getting away from the bustling urban life.
In general, there are 6 best ways to get to Halong Bay from Hanoi. However, shuttle bus and private car are the most popular choice thanks to the convenience and experiences. Furthermore, many cruises cooperate with shuttle bus and car to arrange the trip to Halong at more budget prices.
All things considered, the best way is affected by many factors like how much you spend, who you travel with, which type of traveling you expect, and others. Apart from the most popular choices mentioned above, more options are lesser-known such as the local bus, taxi, flight, and helicopter.
6 best ways to get from Hanoi to Halong Bay
Local tips to get to Halong Bay from Hanoi
No exotic journey can be perfect without a few local tips for more interesting experiences and to avoid some unexpected troubles. Hereby a few hacks that may help you get to Halong Bay from Hanoi without hassle.
For backpackers and self-travel tourists
Normally, your demand is safety and low budget. In this case, the top-recommended vehicle is the shuttle bus as it is not only comfortable but also amazingly cheap compared with the service it provides.
You only have to spend about USD 20/round trip Hanoi – Halong/person or maybe lower a little to have a large seat on a deluxe bus like limousine D-car and the trip is only about 2-hour including 15 minutes in a rest area for the travel route.
So there is no doubt that it is the fastest budget way to get to Halong Bay.
For families with kids
Safety and convenience could be your top concern if you travel with your kids on a family trip. Depends on your children’s ages and how many of them do you have that you may have some options to consider. If you have infants or toddlers, the top choice should be a private car.
Believe it or not, your babies need space and it is also difficult to control them as they are too small. Therefore, although the private car is a little expensive option, it is necessary for you and your small children.
Private car is best for families with kids to travel from Hanoi to Halong Bay
For a couple of travelers
Romance, privacy, remarkable experience, and sweet memories are the top features that you seek in your trip to Halong Bay? The best suggestion for couples is the seaplane.
It is not cheap, of course, but it is definitely worth it. Holding your partner’s hands, flying in the sky above one of the most beautiful and magical lands in the world like Halong Bay would be the sweetest memory for your trip.
For elder tourists
From the age of 50, you should consider your health conditions before choosing any way to travel. Nothing can be compared with your health right now and it is the most important and major factor that affects your choice of transportation to get to Halong Bay.
The best suggestions for you are a luxury bus as they are high-quality cars (which is very important for your travel safety) and comfortable with a large space inside.
Luxury bus is best for the elderly to transfer from Hanoi to Halong Bay
Recommend Hanoi to Halong Bay tour itinerary
Many tourists decide to book Halong Bay tours from Hanoi to covers the transportation services. Normally, you will get a combo package which is cheaper than the service booked separately. Furthermore, booking a tour will help you enjoy Hanoi – Halong trip at leisure, especially for a family with kids and a first-timer.
For those who have scanty time, a Halong Bay day trip from Hanoi (from 63 USD/ person) usually offers a transfer by either a shuttle bus or a luxury limousine. Most Halong Bay day tours are 3-star wooden junks; some are 4-star and 5-star luxury cruises.
To spend more time indulging in the majestic seascape, it is highly recommended to take a Halong Bay overnight cruise (from 121 USD/ person), which includes a cruise excursion on various types of boats, from traditional wooden junks to luxury cruises, from small private boats to large deluxe ones.
Compared with a one-day itinerary, the 2d1n or 3d2n cruise will help you explore deeper inside this scenic area with sightseeing tours to magnificent caves, join a short discovery in Cat Ba Island, enjoy water-based activities, take part in amusing things to do onboard, and other more.
Taking everything into account, consider what you expect during the travel time as each means of transportation listed above is perfect for a particular demand. Hope you find out how to travel from Hanoi to Halong Bay and go exploring with BestPrice Travel.
You might also like: Hanoi Airport to Halong Bay: 4 Fast & Safe Ways to Transfer
(Images source: Internet)